Monday, July 8, 2013

Sinking City: Vietnamese Food in Ames

Today I went to my Dad's work and for lunch we ate at a Vietnamese place. The name was Le's Vietnamese Restaurant. It's in Ames, Iowa.


For an appetizer we ordered those see-through things with the noodles and fresh stuff. What are they called? Spring rolls. Not the fried ones. They were filled with pork and shrimp and something that looked like noodles and tasted like nothing, that was the clear part. And there was lettuce and cucumber. There was a peanut or peanut butter sauce. It was OK but I wasn't really a big fan because it was too sweet and it tasted a little bit like soy sauce to me. The roll tasted good. I like those because it's sort of like a salad that you can pick up.



I ordered something with noodles and soup on the side. Or at least, that's what I thought. So the thing was there were noodles and there was soup on top of the noodles. The noodles were in a soup. I didn't really like it. I mean the soup tasted sort of like chicken broth and it was sort of nutty tasting too. Some of the pork was too dry. Actually, none of the pork was too dry. I just wasn't a very big fan.
But my dad's food, jalapeƱo beef, I really liked it. The beef tasted good because it had a sauce with the rice. And the sauce went really good with the rice. The sauce was sort of like a steak sauce, well, not a steak sauce but it just went really good with rice and beef. And then I didn't want the jalapeƱos because sometimes I just don't want to have something that's really spicy. I asked for fried rice because I wanted something hot and dry to wash the soup taste out of my mouth. And then I ate the rest of Dad's stuff. It tasted really good. The rice and steak and sauce went well with the bell peppers. The rice is a plain taste but the bell pepper is like a crunch. Rice you don't even need to chew it because it's tiny grains. So I had a pretty decent lunch off of what I ate off my dad's plate.


And there's one more thing, this awesome hot and sour soup. It wasn't really sour, just a hint of sour to make it really good. It was kind of chunky too, and I liked that. And then it was hot. And that made a good feel in my throat. It was a little bit spicy and a little bit sour. And it tasted really good.

So that's my review for today. Chili today, hot tamale. Do you get it? Chili today? Sort of like hot tomorrow, but hot tamale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me your opinions on wether I should type it or not or restaurant recommendations or comments of your own.