Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Papusas and Pollo in Perry




Last Friday, me and my dad went to the Highway 141 garage sale. First, I got breakfast from Casey’s. I got breakfast pizza and donuts. I had bacon breakfast pizza. It tastes really good and I think it tastes better than normal pizza. It has eggs, a topping and some cheese. I didn’t eat my donut because I wasn’t super duper hungry.

Then I got on my shoes and then we left. In our van I read books. First we went to Goodwill in Urbandale just to look. I didn’t go in, but my dad said there weren’t any good things. Then we went to Grimes.

First we stopped at a garage sale, and it had nothing good. And we kept going, and after a while we found a good one. The first thing I got was a Goosebumps book I didn’t have. And I think my dad got the Pokemon Yahtzee. So a while after that, we stopped at another garage sale and found Angry Birds things. Like Angry Birds necklaces and Angry Birds slap sticks which are sticks that if you slap them on your wrist, they’ll go around it. And my dad found Pokemon cards and Pokemon Trainer kit. And the decks have 30 cards, not like theme decks because theme decks have 60. And instead of one deck, it came with two. And he got another one, so if you take both of the same decks from one and you add them up, you will have the same as a theme deck. And you get a coin to flip.

We went to another garage sale far away from the garage sale where we were at; we had to walk a long way. And I found a stuffed Homer, like a stuffed animal. He cost $0.25. And then I found something awesome! I think it was the best thing I found, of the whole day. It was a giant Army tank that had buttons on it that made sounds. It had the main gun, and the little two machine guns, and the buttons on the back still worked. It was only two dollars.

Then we left, and we forgot to get something that looked really cool. So we went back and got a Star Wars ship, but it was missing an R2-D2, but it came with a free guy. If a free guy comes with it, I guess it’s okay if it’s missing an R2-D2, but my dad wanted to find one. But we never did find one. Then we left the town and we went to Granger.

On our way to Granger my dad got a blender for my cousin Nick. And then we headed to Granger, and the only thing I think we got was some stuffed Justice League guys. I picked out one for my mom, and my mom got Aquaman. Because my mom likes Aquaman. And I got Robin for Bo because he likes Batman, and he just got a new Batman shirt. And I got a Green Lantern guy because I just got a Green Lantern shirt. And then we went to one and got a free little mask. And it might fit Violet, but I’m not sure. When she’s big enough for it to fit her, I think we’ll put it on her.

It was after 12:30 after we were done in Granger, and I was starving. And then we went to Perry. We almost ended up eating at Burger King, but then we saw a little El Salvadorean restaurant we didn’t even know about. It was on Second Street in downtown Perry.  It’s called El Buen Gusto.

And we walked in, and it said they had papusas. Papusas are thick tortillas with meat and cheese inside them. They come with cole slaw and hot sauce. There was two kinds of hot sauce, a red kind and a green kind. They had a sale on papusas, because they’re usually, for one papusa, $1.50. And that day they were $1, and we ordered 6. So it would only be $6 instead of $9.

We also ordered something we had never heard of before. It was called the Pan Relleno de Pollo. It’s French bread with chicken, lettuce, cucumbers, radish and a special homemade sauce.

I ordered horchata to drink. It is a rice milk drink.


First, we ate normal tortilla chips and hot sauce. They just tasted normal. Normal. Normal normal normal. The salsa was a little bit spicier than usual. But not as spicy as the hot sauce that I had at On The Border, in my other review. But I think that was because I ate too much.

Then I tried my horchata. It tasted like coconut. It was great, so I drank some more because I think I ate a bit of salsa by then and it was kind of spicy so I took a sip. And I took another sip because it was so good.

Eating papusas
Then our meal came and I tried the papusas. The very outside just tastes like thick tortilla and beans. The filling tastes good. I tried a bite with the cole slaw and then I tried a bite with the cole slaw and the hot sauce. The hot sauce was spicy and I put a whole bunch of it on so I told my dad to scrape it off.
Papusas
The next thing we ate was the strangest looking thing of all. Then my dad took a bite and he said that I had to try it because it tasted so bad. No, just kidding. No, it tasted great! I can’t describe the flavors because it’s so good. It’s probably the first time I’ve never been able to describe the flavors. The bread is delicious because it’s French bread, and the sauce tastes really good with the chicken. But I don’t think I got any of the bites with lettuce on them. The sauce tasted kind of like cole slaw dressing and if it’s on chicken it tastes delicious. Plus, if you add some tomatoes it tastes even better, but if you add everything, it tastes better than ever. And it was a little bit spicy and I think it was because of the radishes. I think it was pretty much one of the best things I ate that day.
Pan Relleno de Pollo

Restaurant Rating: Of course it’s a thumbs up!
Final Thoughts: Try the Pan Relleno de Pollo!

Then we went to Perry but there pretty much wasn’t anything. Then I think we headed to Jamaica. We went to the Yellow Brick Road garage sale. They have signs of yellow bricks and arrows that point either ahead or sideways. But they don’t point sideways for a while. And when we went I found one great thing. It was two giant water guns.

And then we went to Bagley to an outdoor sale with lots of tents instead of garages. But they still call it a garage sale. Maybe it’s because that’s the name it started out with? And I saw these airplanes in a bag, and I touched one, and it burnt my finger because it was metal and it was in the sun and it was black.

Then we were done with the garage sales. So we went to a little community store with a whole bunch of good stuff inside. And I saw an ice cream bar and it had strawberry shortcake ice cream on it, and I think it looked delicious. And I ate it all in like 10 minutes, but it’s not that long because of how big they were. I ate it before I got to my grandma’s house near Panora, in Guthrie County.

I hope you enjoyed this blog post and my next blog post will be about the food at the Iowa State Fair, and the State Fair itself. And three places I want to go to there are:  Jalapeno Pete’s, the three-story slide, and the Pella Plaza.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me your opinions on wether I should type it or not or restaurant recommendations or comments of your own.